[pmwiki-users] phpmerge.php doesn't detect removed paragraph as a conflicting change

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Nov 30 18:25:52 CST 2006

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 01:12:16AM +0100, Jens Schiffler wrote:
> phpmerge.php has not proven reliable when testing concurrent edits with 2.1.11
> and 2.2.0-beta16 on a windows 2003 Server with IIS.
>
> As suggested by PM I tested it using two browser windows.
>
> 1. start the first ("outer") edit, alter first paragraph
> 2. start the second ("inner") edit, remove a line of text, alter second
> paragraph
> 3. save changes in second "inner" edit window
> 4. save changes in first "outer" edit window
>
> Result:
>
> "The page you are editing has been modified since you started editing it. The
> modifications have been merged into the text below, you may want to verify the
> results of the merge before pressing save. Conflicts the system couldn't
> resolve are bracketed by <<<<<<< and >>>>>>>"
>
> But a line removed by the "inner" edit is not shown as a conflicting change.
> It's just missing.

If the inner edit changed something that the outer edit didn't
modify, then it's not a conflict that the system couldn't resolve
(and thus it's not highlighted).  Only those places where two
authors changed identical lines of text are considered "unresolvable".

Since pmwiki.org isn't using phpmerge.php, I'd be curious to
know if you get the same results there.  It would also be helpful
to know exactly what text(s) are being used.

Thanks!