[pmwiki-users] Idea for a recipe - Avoid Css Hacks

Carlos A. Bonamigo carlos.ab at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 21:16:01 CST 2006

Em Domingo 19 Novembro 2006 23:53, você escreveu:

> On Nov 19, 2006, at 1:08 PM, Carlos A. Bonamigo wrote:
>
> > Hi again, I was looking for easier ways  to obtain browser
> > compatibility for a
> > skin and I saw an article about how to handle css with php.
> >
> > The code looks like this:

> > Making a way out of the labirynth css can be sometimes.
> >
> > So, is it a good idea for a recipe?
> >
> > Carlos
> >

> > (The article and the script can be found here ->
> > http://www.stylegala.com/articles/no_more_css_hacks.htm)
>
> I don't use css hacks anymore.  I've found several ways around the
> problems without needing "hacks".  I don't need the css box hacks,
> and I'm trying to remember what the other big problem was...  Boxes
> are resolved by nesting an additional div and using margins on the
> inner div, instead of padding on the outer div.  The visual effect is
> exactly the same.  I don't consider that a hack, since now all
> browsers are in 100% agreement over what they're doing -- I just
> think in terms of anything fixed width needing to be a container
> object on the page.
>
> The other problem is resolved using the !important attribute, which
> is ignored by IE 6.  It's a minor hack/work-around, but definitely
> does not require using separate css files.  You set the attribute
> with !important, then set it again with the settings you want IE 6 to
> use.  Other browsers that respect !important ignore the new setting
> for the attribute, IE 6 doesn't.
>
> IE 7 presumably won't have these problems.
>
> So, while I'm a designer and constantly making custom designs for
> websites, I've found I don't really need complicated hacks &
> workarounds anymore.  At least they all seem to work when I test them
> in browsers.  I still occasionally curse IE 6, but I've found that
> pretty much all I have to do is a search for padding to figure out
> the issue ;)  then I have to figure out a way to change the padding
> into a margin.
>
> Are there reasons for your recipe aside from hacks around browsers?
>
> Crisses

Yes, maybe I just don't no much about css, but dependenig on wich mode you use
you'll need it., specifically on quirks mode.

I'm having problems with typography between ie 5.5/6.0/7.0, FF, Opera and
Konqueror. Firefox does not seem to cooperate which is a surprise to me as
everything I did before looked good on it from the start.

Also, I'm having some problems making the sidebar and #wikitext  stretching to
the footer evenly.

One thing I tought was to count the number of words or maybe characters or
even lines, to see how much margin I'll have to add at the end of #wikitext
and then all I have to do is to throw the rule to $HTMLStylesFmt , so te gap
between #wikitext and the footer won't show.

When #wikitext has less content than the sidebar a gap appears right bellow it
and I couldn't  figure out other solution that works on ie 5.5/6.0/7.0, FF,
Opera and konqueror.

If you have a better solution/suggestion I'll be glad to hear it.

TIA

Carlos

( Your tip about the margins really worked, thanks! )