[pmwiki-users] Unable to save

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 14:17:03 CST 2006

On 11/13/06, L. Bell <labellz at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Changed both of these post-install, based on FilePermissions doc:
>         drwxrwxrwx    2 612      518          4096 Nov 12 19:05 wiki.d
>         drwxrwxrwx    2 612      518         12288 Nov 12 18:52 wikilib.d
>
> Both wiki.d and wikilib.d are set to 777.
> And info says that PHP runs under my userID, not apache's.
> Not sure what else to check?
>
> Liz
>
> On 13-Nov-06, at 2:42 PM, David Sovinski wrote:
>
> > Liz
> >
> > My first thought is to make sure you have a wiki.d directory and
> > the correct permissions set for that directory.
> >
> > Directory should be (pm)wiki/wiki.d and permissions need to be set
> > to 777 or 755 depending on the owner of the directories. Please see
> > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FilePermissions for more specifics.
> >
> > Caspian
> >
> > L. Bell wrote:
> >
> >> Kind strangers,
> >>
> >> I am brand new to wiki admin, less new to unix.
> >>
> >> The save and preview buttons in my pmwiki do not work, even for
> >> the  sandbox page.
> >> Can't edit the sidebar, create new pages, ....  Many attempts to
> >> correct the problem included changing the (default) skin, and
> >> enabling AuthUser.  No avail.
> >>
> >> One of your archived posts suggested ripping everything out,
> >> starting  over, changing one thing at a time.  Seemed reasonable,
> >> so I did that  last night.
> >> Working now with a fresh installation.
> >>
> >> Still can't save edits to the sandbox or any other page.  Despair.
> >>
> >>      Some info:
> >>      php 4.3.11, apache 1.3.33, pmwiki v2.1.14, shared linux host
> >>      basic unix (.htpasswd + .htaccess) authentication + SSL, sitewide
> >>      htaccess contains one RewriteRule, converts incoming traffic
> >> from  http to https.
> >>
> >> This all seems to work fine, correctly controls access to the
> >> site,  HTML test pages, and even the ships-with wiki pages
> >> (documentation,  etc.).  Just no wiki edits.
> >> I changed the permissions on wikilib.d directory to 777, still
> >> nothing.
> >>
> >> Any advice, ideas where to even start looking?
> >> Thanks!

I seem to recall having trouble like this when I lacked or had a
messed up .htaccess file somewhere or other.

Of course, I don't even know what that's for, so I can't do more than
suggest that if anyone who knows this stuff thinks this could be a
possible explanation, then maybe someone could describe where it/they
should be and/or what its/their characteristics should be.  (? --
sorry)

By the way, I don't think wikilib.d should have 777.