[pmwiki-users] Still Problems with Auth Users and Groups

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Tue Nov 7 20:06:34 CST 2006

On Nov 7, 2006, at 6:04 PM, Boris Schwarz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My Goal is to define Groups and to tell pmwiki or AuthUser.php that
> users A
> and B are members of Authentication group Management.
> Further on Members A and B and C and D are members of the
> Authentication
> group Staff for example.
>
> Eventually i would like to allow the Authentication group
> Management to edit
> and read any group pages on my pmwiki.
> On the other side though the groups staff should only be allowed to
> read
> main.HomePage and all other pages with main.* but they are allowed
> to read
> and edit staff.homepage and all other pages with staff.*. At the
> same time
> though they should not be able to read or edit management.homepage
> and any
> pages starting with management.*
>

> PM was so kind to explain to me what you see below in quotations.
> My questin
> back then was a little different so the @admin, @management etc.
> wont be
> right but the authentication process/setup should be the same. I am
> though
> not capable of following these instructions since i dont unerstand
> how to
> define groups so authuser know which memebers are part or which
> group and
> how can i tell authuser that group staff can only read main.* but
> not edit
> with attributes?
>

> Did I misunderstand someting, is it actually possible to use
> authentication
> groups and to include certain users and then allow these
> authentication
> groups to either read edit or not to read or edit certain site
> groups like
> main.hompage?
>
> I would be happy if someone could help me im my state of confusion
>
> Boris Schwarz

Hi, Boris:

Whenever you set configuration options in config.php they work on the
entire website, such as:

$DefaultPasswords['read'] = array('@admin', '@management');

will grant read permissions on the entire site to only the admins and
management.

Group and Page permissions OVERRIDE the config.php directives.  If
you set the edit for the group, it ignores the config.php for that
group and uses the new permissions for that group.

So if you go to

http://yoursite.com/wiki/Main/GroupAttributes?action=attr

you can override any default permissions for the Main group set in
config.php.  You want @staff to be able to read this group so you
would change this web form's read permission to "@admin, @management,
@staff"

and

http://yoursite.com/wiki/Staff/GroupAttributes?action=attr

needs to have edit permissions that include @staff

You can also change the permission on a single page instead of a
whole group:
http://yoursite.com/wiki/Staff/ASpecificPage?action=attr

I think you actually understood it in the end, but does that help?

Also, keep in mind there are no pages staff.* -- it would be Staff.* :)

Crisses