[pmwiki-users] troubleshooting warning errors - session_write_close()

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Nov 7 08:00:23 CST 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 11:31:40AM +0100, Lars Oestreicher wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 03:23:04AM +0100, Lars Oestreicher wrote:
> >> Dear pmwiki fellows...
> >>
> >> I have a pmWiki site which has been working nicely, up until this
> >> weekend. However, I just encountered the same errors that were
> >> noted by
> >> Miriam H. The following error messages appear on top of the site.
> >>
> >> *Warning*: session_write_close():
> >> open(/data/session/f/f/sess_ff050fcf93b565ce4947c5faef0ac1ee, O_RDWR)
> >> failed: Permission denied (13) in
> >> */data/members/paid/h/c/hcieducation.com/htdocs/www/pmwiki.php* on
> >> line
> >> *1722*
> >
> > You could try setting up a special directory for
> > sessions, by adding the following to the beginning of local/
> > config.php:
> >
> >     mkdirp('session.d');
> >     session_save_path('session.d');
>
> Thanks for your  answer, it definitely seems to have pinpointed the
> problem. I created a session.d directory, and set the
> session_save_path as you proposed, and it seems to have solved the
> problem. (However, I had to create the directory manually, since the
> mkdirp-command generated an error message, but that was no serious
> problem).
>
> When I searched the web for the solution to this issue, prior to
> mailing the list, I found several sites that displayed the very same
> error message. Might it be a good thing to include this solution in
> the sample-config as a commented out line? Even if it is not the
> fault of the pmWiki, I think it would be a great help, since it seems
> to happen occasionally, and it is a tricky error to debug.

I think it'd be very good to put it in the sample-config; but I'm
thinking it should also be related to creating a separate
"work directory" for holding temporary files (which would include
not only sessions, but cache files and other work files such as
.flock, .pageindex, .notifylist, etc.).

I'm still working out how to make all of that easy to create/manage,
however.