[pmwiki-users] ZAP chat?

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sun Nov 5 16:48:49 CST 2006

I'm thinking about using ZAP for a chat module.  (Shopping cart is
coming along great!)  I was thinking I could use the GetData field
when a form is submitted to get the very latest chat log (to *try* and
avoid overwriting someone else's submission after you load a page.  Or
perhaps add a "refresh" parameter to the log option which does
essentially the same thing. Anyway, this would help solve the problem
of chatters overwriting each other.

Basically you type what you want, and it's added to a log page that is
then included back into the page with the form. Logs can be trimmed or
deleted with a buttons click--with appropriate permissions.

By formatting log entries you can do lots of fun things.  You can even
set up a chat profile for things like colors, or fonts, whatever.
Maybe your favorite 6 sayings in a quick type select box.  ZAP is
really quite flexible so none of this is out of it's range of
possibilities.

I'd probably use frames for the chat controls form down at the bottom,
and use the upper box for the page include.  I'll probably have to
write a special skin for this and set a meta refresh tag in the main
page (optional, so can use in just the right frame). And at
configurable refresh rates.

I could even have a logged in user list in the right side showing
active members. But not sure how I'd deal with users who close without
logging out...

My question is what is the most effective way to refresh a page's
content without tying up excessive bandwith?  I've heard a bit about
ajax and thought there might be an easier way.  Also, it would be nice
to somehow check if the chat log has been updated since last loaded,
and only refresh when it has.  And maybe set some kind of timer to
disengage inactive chatters.  Never tried anything like this before so
don't know what kind of issues to address.  Any thoughts?

Thought I'd ask the list's very helpful input before launching out
into this project too far.

Cheers,
Caveman

PS.  Could also use this same skin to trigger newsletters being sent
out, and monitor progress at the same time!