[pmwiki-users] $SkinLibDirs definition

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Fri Nov 3 16:31:58 CST 2006

JB wrote:
> * Sandy wrote, On 11/2/2006 6:27 PM:
>> Trying to figure out what $SkinLibDirs does, combining old list messages
>> with the existing definition on
>
> It had me very confused for quite some time. It points to where
> a skin directory could be located.  The skin is "found" when a
> directory with the skin name is found at the location specified
> by the array index.  The skin directory would not necessarily
> have to contain a *.tmpl file, it could have just a php file.
>
> The array index points to a file path - which does not have to be in
> a publicly accessible directory, and the array value points to a
> URL - which must be  publicly accessible.  A lot of people
> put the .tmpl and php files into the same publicly accessible
> directory so the array index and the array value point to the same
> place, though one is a file path and one is a URL.
>
> Things such as css and image files must go into a publicly
> accessible directory.  The *.tmpl or php files do not have to
> be publicly accessible and can go anywhere you choose to put
> them.
>
> When PMWiki is searching for a skin it looks for a directory
> named for the skin in the array index, and if it finds it then
> it will use the files in that directory and also the files
> in the matching array value url.
>
> It helps to looks at the PMWiki source code for function
> SetSkin in file scripts/skins.php.

By George, I think I have it. Challenge is to distill it into something
detailed enough to be accurate, simple enough not to scare, and not
noticeably longer than the other entries on the page. This is as good as
I can get it. Tempting to replace this with a link to a page dedicated
to advanced skin and/or farm design.

http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/LayoutVariables#SkinLibDirs

Cheers!

Sandy