[pmwiki-users] Making a domain name a wiki page

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Mon May 29 04:14:39 CDT 2006

On 5/28/06, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
<christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Since we are now using [[..]] that allows (...) inside them, today we can
> do the following:
>
>         Markup                  Link text               Target
>         [[SomePage]]            SomePage                {$Group}/SomePage
>         [[PmWiki/SomePage]]     SomePage                PmWiki/SomePage
>         [[(PmWiki/)SomePage]]   SomePage                PmWiki/SomePage
>         [[PmWiki.SomePage]]     PmWiki.SomePage         PmWiki/SomePage
>         [[(PmWiki.)SomePage]]   SomePage                PmWiki/SomePage
>
> I've verified this here:
>         http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/LinksToSomePage
>
> I now argue that links to other groups, where you *don't* want the name of
> the group to be shown, are not so frequent that we need to distinguish
> between '.' and '/' for this purpose. Since these links are less frequent,
> it's not that much of a problem for the author to write [[(group/)page]]
> instead of the old [[group/page]] v.s. [[group.page]].

[A bit OT, but I think may be worth mention it]
According to http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/5_BNF.html, parenthesis
may occur in regular urls, and having them hiding link parts is
conflicting with their use as url parameters. In the mood of altering
link syntax, why not take this in account and use another character
pair such as [[<group/>page]] ?

Regards,
Dom