[pmwiki-users] leading space rule? what rule?

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Thu May 25 17:04:02 CDT 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 04:40:39PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >  preformatted text on normal lines
> >
> > * this is a list item
> >  keeps this trailing text indented and part of this list item
>
> Not exactly.  In order for whitespace to have it's "part of
> a list item" effect, the first non-whitespace character must
> horizontally align with the text of a previous list item.
>     *   this is a list item
>         this is part of the list item
>       this is not

That's clear.

> >  [some-block-element like [=
> > 	the entire block is preformatted text
> > some-block-element]
>
> I'm not sure what "block element" means in this context.
> However, the space+[=...=] rule that others described (and that
> still exists in several parts of the documentation) is highly
> discouraged in PmWiki 2.1 -- authors should use [@...@] instead
> for preformatted and uninterpreted text.

I was extrapolating the idea I'd gathered that you could put a space before
any block element and get preformatted text inside the entire block
element.  Is that true or not?

If not, then it sounds like leading space only matters to single lines and
lists? ( if we forget about space+[=..=] )

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek