[pmwiki-users] automatic formatting -- how is this controlled?

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Thu May 25 14:49:57 CDT 2006

Okay, this issue might be related to the leading space.  It turns out that
most of the examples I found had some lines with leading spaces.  Changing
to a bold monospace font made the behavior stand out really clearly.

I think the tie together with URLs was just two changes at the same time
(remove leading spaces and add urls)

I'll keep my eyes open for this.

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 03:54:45PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 12:20:01PM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
> > So I am observing some default behavior that I find odd, but useful.  I'm
> > trying to find documentation so that I know how to affect it.
> >
> > 1. Create a new page.
> > 2. Copy some block of normal text into it.
> > 3. Do no formatting and save it.
> >
> > The text appears exactly as copied.  Nice.
> >
> > Now, go back and add http://some.where/page.html to the text.
> >
> > Suddenly anything without a line separating itself from that link gets
> > wrapped as normal html flow.
>
> Hmm, the description here doesn't really give enough detail
> to know what's going on.  Can you create an example page in the
> Test group on pmwiki.org that demonstrates what you're describing?
>
> > My questions:
> >
> > 1. How is this "looks unformatted" behavior determined?
> >
> > 2. Can we adjust this so that html links don't break that determination?
>
> Links are basically treated as normal text with the same flow
> characteristics as any surrounding text -- by default there's
> not anything that says to change the formatting based on the
> presence or absence of a link.
>
> Pm

Jo Rhett
senior geek