[pmwiki-users] Conditional markup - page action as condition, nesting of IF markup

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Thu May 25 12:30:30 CDT 2006

On 5/25/06, Curtis, Clayton <Clayton.Curtis at va.gov> wrote:
I guess I'm into compound expressions to achieve 'screening'
> behavior.

Just a couple of notes about that:

1) Compound expressions do, indeed, serve to replace many contructions
that you would otherwise nest.  Not real friendly for new authors to
look at, but they do the job.

2) Except when they don't do the job. The documentation shows three
different ways to construct a compound conditional.  I hate to admit
that I can't provide any examples of the problems I've had, because
when problems have arisen, I've been ***wayyyy*** too frustrated by it
to document what happened, but anyway: more than once, I've had a
compound conditional refuse to function when it really should work.

What I do then is confirm that each element of it is worded correctly
by setting it up as a stand-alone condition, then copying and pasting
those individual ones into the compound construction, to insure
against typos.  Sometimes that *still* doesn't work, and that's when I
(should document but don't, and) re-arrange using one of the other two
methods.  This has gotten me where I was trying to go every time, but
at the expense of some rapidly-escaping brain-cells.