[pmwiki-users] leading space rule? what rule?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu May 25 07:05:06 CDT 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 11:40:44AM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:

> FWIW, I also think it's a mixed blessing to let lines starting with space
> result in preformatted text. I think the reason for this choice is mostly
> historic and then it's just stuck around...

Historic tradition does play a part here, but also using leading
whitespace for preformatted text does tend to do the right thing
for many applications.  If nothing else, a number of other wikis
(including MediaWiki) use this particular convention, so it's worth
keeping it.

> On Wed, 24 May 2006, Scott Connard wrote:
> >Just to throw my 2 cents in...I agree (more or less) with Jo.  The
> >leading space markup is ugly and not only that but it actually leaves
> >the space in the output so the line is indented one space.  Yuck and
> >a half.

For those who want to eliminate the "one space indentation"
that results from placing a space at the beginning of preformatted
text markup, one can do the following to eliminate the one space
of indentation:

    Markup('^ ', 'block', '/^\\s/', '<:pre,1>');