[pmwiki-users] preformatted text block *with* formatting? (bug in [ <at> .. <at> ] ?)

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Wed May 24 12:40:29 CDT 2006

Jo Rhett <jrhett <at> svcolo.com> writes:

> Okay, so reading the BasicEditing documentation it's pretty easy to assume
> that because these two are in the same box, their effect is the same, but
> one is for lines, and one is for blocks

> This is a             [ <at> This is a
>   preformatted            preformatted
>     text block              text block <at> ]
>
> However, the following two statements render differently.

> [ <at> The following word should be in ''italics'' <at> ] (is not...)
>
> It would appear that [ <at> ... <at> ] also assumes [=...=].  This isn't
documented
> clearly.
>
> It also presents problems for creating documentation, where variables and
> such are italicized.  I need to do large blocks of text like so
>
> [ <at>
> $ run this command
> ''see this italicized output''
> $ run this command
> see this 'italicized word'' in a larger output
> see this clickable http://link/to/somewhere in the output
> $ run this command with an ''italicized word'' in the middle
> see this normal output
>  <at> ]
>
> I really need the ability to get a monospaced font over a large block of
> text *but with normal pmwiki formatting*.   How can I do this?

 If you
> want monospaced font *and* no formatting, you can do this

> It's also A LOT more flexible than the current situation.

@@ simply changes the typeface.
[= escapes the markup, but *not* the word wrap
to escape the word wrap, you have to add a space before the [= escape
[@ escapes the markup and word wrap, for convenience.

Take a look at the TextFormattingRules documentation:

http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/TextFormattingRules#EscapeSequence and
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/TextFormattingRules#Emphasis (for @@)

Pico