[pmwiki-users] Uploads Config on Farms -- UploadDir??

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon May 22 20:15:47 CDT 2006

OK, I'm proceeding with the configuration of uploads on our little
PMwiki farm...

/PMwiki/
	local/
		farmconfig.php

# contains:

$EnableUpload = 1;
$UploadMaxSize = 200000;

in any given field I just put:

/admin/local/config.php

$UploadUrlFmt = 'http://wiki.hindu.org/admin/uploads';

Every thing works beautifully. Very sweet indeed.

Several points-?'s

1. I found one "gotcha' in the documentation. I don't feel competent
to edit PMwiki docs  so, let me just share "symptoms"

Uploads Administration offers this example:

  $EnableUpload = 1;
       $UploadDir = "/home/john/public_html/uploads";
       $UploadUrlFmt = "http://www.john.com/~john/uploads";
       $DefaultPasswords['upload'] = crypt('mysecret');

our wikis are  protected by .htaccess so I'm not using the upload
password... and the first line is in the farm script, which left
only these two for the field config.php

  $UploadDir = "/admin/uploads";
$UploadUrlFmt = "http://wiki.hindu.org/admin/uploads";

but, if I keep that first line, then after the upload, PMwiki returns
a blank screen... by deleting the "$UploadDir" statement, it works
fine...
so, I don't know what is happening there.  it appears to work out of
the box without declaring any $UploadDir variable at all.

2. Is there any way to globally enable to auto-creation of the sub-
directories on all fields under  /uploads/?

e.g.

suppose in  our server administration wiki  I have

/admin/
	index.html
	local/
	uploads/
		Migration/
		Security/
	wiki.d/

Now... someone comes in and he wants to make a new group called "CGI
Libraries"

And, then he wants to upload a diagram... but PMWiki errors out
saying he needs  a writable directory  /CGILibraries/  before he can
accept an upload. So then he emails me... I log in via FTP or
terminal, mkdir... ....etc..

The desired behavior here is for anyone to be able to start a new
group and do uploads in any field on this farm without requiring
admin to make those directories... is this possible? I realize there
are security issues, but all directories are protected by .htaccess
and uploads restricted to .jpg .gif .txt .pdf so I don't think
anything bad will happen. (But what I don't know could fill an ocean!)

Sivakatirswami