[pmwiki-users] Proposal: Recipe Structure Change

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon May 22 16:15:48 CDT 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 03:48:06PM -0500, Ben Wilson wrote:
> To keep this email brief, I have put more thought into how to approach
> improving documentation.[1] Specifically, I have focused on the
> Recipes. I offer that we currently apply three distinct purposes to a
> given recipe page when we should have the main page serve only one
> purpose. Because of these divergent purposes, the pages tend to under
> inform the visitor by trying to address all concerns simultaneously.
> We should break the three purposes into separate pages. By breaking
> the purposes up, we focus the visitor's attention on the category of
> information relevant to the recipe that he wants.

I like the idea of targeted approaches to recipes, but I
disagree pretty strongly with the idea of creating separate pages
for "Selling" and "Technical".  Most people are likely to find
recipes via search or pagelist, and it becomes a pain if each
recipe is spread across multiple pages.  (Also, "Selling" may have
too many commercial connotations -- i.e., someone might misinterpret
that it costs real money to use the recipe.)

I think it's very worthwhile to standardize on a "-Comments" or
"-Discuss" page for recipe feedback and ratings, but I'm not a fan
of splitting recipes much beyond that.

Thanks,