[pmwiki-users] RFC: refactored introduction to wiki markup

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Thu May 11 06:50:06 CDT 2006

On 11 May 2006, John Rankin wrote:

> On Thursday, 11 May 2006 10:54 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >One of the issues with putting categories in the distributed docs
> >is that it "eats" category names that the site might want to use
> >for other purposes.  It also presumes the existence of something
> >to display the category listing (which isn't currently the case
> >in the distribution).
>
> OK, scratch that idea. However, the proposal to categorize
> documentation pages is still valid. A few options:
> - have some manually-created pseudo-category pages in the
>   PmWiki group; add [[markup]] to each markup page and
>   Markup contains a list of pages in PmWiki group containing
>   [[markup]] references
>
> - maintain a trail page for all pages about Markup and other
>   pseudo-categories
>
> - use keywords in page names and generate page lists based on
>   "name contains Markup", for example

I've been using an approach where I "tag" a page with a keyword that isn't
visible and then use (:pagelist:) to generate the listing. Today I'm
simply doing something like this:

	(:comment pmwiki-markup-documentation:)

But it'd look better if we'd write something like:

	(:tag pmwiki-markup-documentation:)

Then maybe we could expand (:pagelist:) to work as follows

	(:pagelist tag=pmwiki-markup-documentation:)

There may be much better alternatives to the word "tag" of course.

/Christian