[pmwiki-users] MetaData Question.

Stirling Westrup sti at pooq.com
Wed May 3 13:05:39 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 11:50:40PM -0400, Stirling Westrup wrote:
>> I currently have the following lines hard coded into a skin I'm using:
>>
>>     <!-- Navigational metadata for large websites (an accessibility
>> feature): -->
>>     <link rel="top"      href="./index.html" title="Homepage" />
>>     <link rel="up"       href="./index.html" title="Up" />
>>     <link rel="first"    href="./index.html" title="First page" />
>>     <link rel="previous" href="./index.html" title="Previous page" />
>>     <link rel="next"     href="./index.html" title="Next page" />
>>     <link rel="last"     href="./index.html" title="Last page" />
>>     <link rel="toc"      href="/rexpolo" title="Table of contents" />
>>     <link rel="index"    href="/rexpolo" title="Site map" />
>>
>> What I would prefer is to have some sort of markup on a Site.NavLinks
>> page and and include it instead.
>>
>> The trouble is, I don't know any way to generate <link ...> tags which
>> won't end up getting decorated by PmWiki autoinserting <p>...</p> or
>> similar markup.
>
> It's more complex than described here.  XHTML says that <link ...>
> tags have to go into the <head> section of a document, and cannot
> appear in the <body>.  So, to be standards compliant one would have
> to write custom processing code for the markup anyway (which would also
> automatically keep PmWiki from treating the markup as paragraph text).

Oh, okay. I had thought one could simply put something like a
<!--wiki:Site.NavLinks--> entry into the <head> section, provided one
had suitable markup written.

> If you'll tell me what markup you want to use, I can probably write
> a recipe for it.

The actual form of the markup is not critical to me, as it seems
unlikely that there will be huge amounts of content using it.

If I were to write it, I would probably just use some directives of the
form

  (:link rel=top href=http://foo.com title="thing" :)

but some part of me says that since these are some sort of
meta-hyperlink they should use a varient of the [[]] syntax. Something
like this maybe:

  [[:top:http://foo.com "thing"]]

But I can't see that would be worth the effort to make it compatible
with all the other things that that syntax is used for.