[pmwiki-users] RFC: Core candidate offerings

Allister Jenks arj at zkarj.co.nz
Fri Mar 31 21:11:03 CST 2006

On 01 Apr 2006 14:14:51 +1200, John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz>
wrote:

> On Saturday, 1 April 2006 1:35 PM, Allister Jenks <arj at zkarj.co.nz> wrote:
> >Patrick, I can't agree that 'blank lines do not mean
> >"paragraph", they mean "vertical space", which is usually and
> >exactly what the author intended them to mean' because there is
> >currently no other way to create *any* visual gap between two
> >lines of text - no way to create a new paragraph without also
> >creating vertical space.
>
> No, Patrick's right -- this is how blank lines are currently
> interpreted, but the space is implemented using an empty <p>.

I agree that's how they're interpreted.  I do not agree that vertical space
is the *intent* of the authors.  I disagree because there is no distinction
between paragraph spacing and vertical space.  No matter which the author is
intending, they only have one choice.

I think Ben's latest post agrees with this.  Ben, you're getting well into
justification, but what do you think is the right solution to this in PmWiki
terms?

I am thinking that the blank line in the source should be interpreted as
"new paragraph" and implemented as you have described with appropriate
padding instead of the extra vspace paragraph.  The questions that then
remain are:

1. What is the meaning of multiple contiguous blank lines?
2. How does the author alter the padding on a specific paragraph?  And
considering top and bottom.

Hell, is it as simple as this for the padding?

Paragraph one with default padding
%padding-bottom 0.7em%
Paragraph two with explicit bottom padding

Paragraph three with default paadding
%padding-top 1em padding-bottom 2em%
Paragraph four with explicit top and bottom padding

Paragraph five with default padding

I.e. use the blank line to place the wikistyle for the following paragraph.
I think this is only a very minor deviation from current wikistyle handling
isn't it?  Perhaps the newline between the wikistyle and its affected
element is the only difference?

--
Allister