[pmwiki-users] RFC: Core candidate offerings

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Fri Mar 31 16:02:49 CST 2006

At 2006-03-31  10:32 PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz is rumored to have said:
>Last time I looked at blocklist&co, they were simple IP address filters.
>I think that's not good enough - well, good enough for the current level
>of spamming, but as PmWiki is attracting more users, it will also
>attract people who can fake IPs, or flood PmWiki using hijacked computers.

Blocklist2 allows phrases and URL fragments which are *far* more
effective than IP blocks. On my wikis, 98 percent of more of the
spamming attempts are defeated by URL fragments.

>More concretely, having a blocklist in the core might dissuade people
>from trying better blocklists. (Anybody taken a close look at Spam
>Karma, as used in WordPress? It's doing a fine job, and even prepares
>for the next wave of "better" spam.)

I can't see why a core blocklist (off by default) would discourage
other blocklist scripts. We already have Blocklist, Blocklist2,
csmb-Blocklist, and MTBlocklist. And AuthUser has not killed off
interest or development in UserAuth.
(Stops self from quoting more examples ;-)

Blocklisting just seems to be a core feature, like RBLDNS support in
a mail server, that should be there when you install.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668