[pmwiki-users] RFC: Core candidate offerings

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 31 11:08:07 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 06:40:26PM +0200, Dominique Faure wrote:
> On 3/31/06, Dominique Faure <dominique.faure at gmail.com> wrote:
> > IMHO, an integrated blocklist is a must-have.
> >
> > Concerning paragraph layout, I would prefer solution #2 in the sense that:
> >
> > 1/ We're already been used to use the '\' mark for paragraph
> > joining/splitting. That could be considered just as a new aspect of
> > the existing feature.
>
> s/use// ;-)
>
> > 2/ End of lines are not always easy to handle when having only
> > textareas to edit your pages on small screens.
>
> Then, I would prefer not to have to take care to where I split
> paragraphes (as in HTML).

I noticed this week that Dokuwiki has borrowed PmWiki's \\ markup
but allows it to appear in the middle of markup lines as well as
the end, as long as the \\ is followed by a space.  Thus:

    Genius is one per cent inspiration, \\ ninety-nine per cent
    perspiration. \\ -- Thomas Edison

would display as:

    Genius is one per cent inspiration,
    ninety-nine per cent perspiration
    -- Thomas Edison

This would only take effect when the \\ is followed by a space,
if it's before a character (as in \\s) then the backslashes are
left alone.  (One can of course use [=\\=] quoting if double
backslashes are actually needed in the output.)