[pmwiki-users] Page Properties was (:title:) misfeature

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Mar 30 16:50:32 CST 2006

On Friday, 31 March 2006 2:21 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 12:23:29PM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
>> >
>> >One obvious approach would be to separate page data from page
>> >metadata, with a separate edit form for a page's metadata. The
>> >descriptive metadata are the current (:title:), (:keywords:)
>> >and (:description:) directives.
>
>They would then be "page attributes", and ought to be handled by
>?action=attr.

Yes.

>> On further thought, the following directives could all move to
>> a "Page Properties" action:
>>
>> noheader, nofooter, noleft, noright, nogroupheader,
>> nogroupfooter, noaction and perhaps comment.
>
>This would seem to have the side effect of preventing such
>directives to be called from (:include:), unless we somehow
>specify that certain properties from included pages affect the
>current page.  I know that I often make use of the ability to
>put such directives in an included page (e.g., a groupheader or
>groupfooter).

That would be one way to do it. I was thinking that once one
introduces the idea of page properties, it becomes easy to set
default page properties. For example, the default setting of
nogroupheader for a GroupHeader would probably be 'checked'.
More generally, I was thinking that one would supplement the
idea of including content with that of inheriting properties.
Something like this:

The attributes screen includes a field

    Inherit attributes from [page name    ]

Any settings on the attributes screen would override the
inherited values.

Defaults + inheritance give a lot of flexibility, perhaps
more than is needed.

>I'm thinking that the real solution to the (:title:) issue is
>to just redefine the (:title:) markup so that it doesn't directly
>affect {$Title}, but just sets the page's "title=" attribute.
>This is what (:keywords:) and (:description:) currently do.
>
>Anyone agree/disagree?

Sounds good to me. The choice of words, page's "title=" attribute,
is noted.'
--
JR