[pmwiki-users] "Page Properties" was (:title:) misfeature

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Mar 28 18:23:29 CST 2006

On Monday, 27 March 2006 1:54 PM, John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:
>On Sunday, 26 March 2006 8:52 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>>On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 08:05:33AM -0600, Tegan Dowling wrote:
>>>    If you go to http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MarkupExtensions, you'll
>>>    see its title appears to be "Abbreviation Plurals".  I could find no
>>>    (:title:) setting for the page, but I did find that a reference to the
>>>    actual page Cookbook/AbbreviationPlurals is the first item in the
>>>    (:pagelist:) example that Christian Ridderstrom put at the very foot of
>>>    the page.
>>
>>This is a known (mis)feature; the (:title:) directive from
>>included pages can inadvertently override or become a title for
>>the page that includes it.  Some people have indicated that they
>>want to be able to specify (:title:) in includes, and even if this
>>weren't the case I'm not sure that I know of a reliable workaround
>>for the behavior, short of hardcoding something directly into
>>pmwiki.php.
>>
>>Pm
>>
>One obvious approach would be to separate page data from page
>metadata, with a separate edit form for a page's metadata. The
>descriptive metadata are the current (:title:), (:keywords:)
>and (:description:) directives.

On further thought, the following directives could all move to
a "Page Properties" action:

noheader, nofooter, noleft, noright, nogroupheader,
nogroupfooter, noaction and perhaps comment.

So that's 11 directives that one would no longer have to
remember and would no longer clutter the page and its History.
Instead there would be a form with fields (title, keywords,
description, comment?) and checkboxes (everything else).

<snip>

--
JR