[pmwiki-users] Spam Blocking Proposal

Wendell Brown wbrown at arkie.net
Tue Mar 28 15:52:49 CST 2006

I am apparently one of several pmwiki users to become a renewed target
for wiki spam.  And being a firm believer in proactive blocking (ie,
using shared resources to identify spam because it's a good bet that by
the time spam gets to me someone else has already identified it) I want
something that will catch most of it without having to jump through
hoops.  But, as someone else has pointed out, it's not cool to lose all
control of what is blocked.

With that in mind, I got to thinking about CAPTCHA
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA).  Many sites already use this but
I'm not generally a real big fan of it because it's pretty invasive for
real posters, BUT, if it were only required for users with IP addresses
that show up on a DNS Black List then it wouldn't be invasive for MOST
users and it should block a lot of bots.

Based on the IP addresses of the spam that I've been getting over the
last few days, it seems that almost all of the sending IP addresses are
listed on the SORBS-WEB list (http://www.us.sorbs.net/).  If you are
getting spam, try the following link and enter the ip address of the
sender and see if SORBS-WEB doesn't identify the majority of them.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=

To be totally honest, I've considered adding this as an option for
MTBlackList without the CAPTCHA but I'm a bit concerned about false
positives.