[pmwiki-users] pmwiki broken under Apache 2.2/PHP 5.1.2

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue Mar 28 02:38:03 CST 2006

Stirling Westrup schrieb:
> If you look at the output from
>
>    http://sti.pooq.com/rexpolo?action=phpinfo
>
> you'll notice that

... the server is unreachable :-(

 > cgi.fix_pathinfo isn't even listed in the settings.
> I'm guessing it got deprecated or something.

It's most definitely not deprecated.
Hmm... looking at the output of my own site, I find it isn't listed,
either. However, activating it *did* make a difference, so it seems that
the PHP folks forgot to list it on the phpinfo() page. Drat.

Try this:
1) Get the phpinfo output.
2) Change the cgi.fix_pathinfo setting.
3) Restart Apache (the settings won't take unless you do).
4) Open a new tab in the browser, and get the phpinfo output.
5) Quickly Ctrl-PageDown to alternate between the outputs. See where the
display flickers - that's the settings that have changed. (You'll
probably have to scroll down to see any differences; I'd expect the
first difference somewhere in the Environment section, which is several
pages down.)

> In any case, I've gone back to mod_php for now, and everything is
> working again (it turns out that what I thought was a server bug was a
> firefox feature...)

mod_php is fine if you're the only one to use the server. Or, more
precisely, if you trust all the PHP scripts that may be running. (You
can even deactivate safe_mode in that situation.)

Regards,
Jo