[pmwiki-users] pmwiki documentation: Edit Templates

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sun Mar 26 08:04:47 CST 2006

Just a note:  I think this is a great idea.  I would love to have two
separate help systems.  One for authors (simple) and one for
administrators (advanced).  Completely separate.  Perhaps even
different groups.  That way I could simply change passwords on the
groups to determine who can access which.  To me it seems the current
distributed help files is not enough for the admin, and too much for
the average author.  Of course, the question first should perhaps be,
who is going to take the time to write (or at least assemble,
organize, and edit) the help files?

If we do go this route though, there must be clear instructions to a
new user how to download the extra "admin" level help files so they
don't get confused at the lack of documentation. We also need to think
about how the upgrades will work. I take it that each time I download
a new version of PmWiki, I'm also upgrading my wikilib.d directory,
with the latest documentation. (True?).  If we separate the two, we
are requiring admins to make two downloads or risk having our
documentation lagging behind our codebase.

One other thought though, again as a newuser who was blown away by
PmWiki when I first discovered it.  I remember being totally shocked
at how miniscule the download was.  Just took seconds on dialup. I
thought the download had somehow aborted or something!  To make it
even smaller would make it even more "shocking" of an experience!

Cheers,
Caveman