[pmwiki-users] Special chars in wikilib.d/files

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 23 09:02:11 CST 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 09:33:51AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2006-03-23  08:19 AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >So, since there's not a universally available function in PHP to
> >convert strings to and from UTF-8, we're stuck with having to
> >perform a variety of workarounds.  At present I'm thinking that
> >we'll url-encode page names, so that a page named
> >"PmWikiDe.AdministratorPasswörter" would be stored in a file
> >named "PmWikiDe.AdministratorPassw%f6ter".
>
> I was not sure if this would present problems for
> uploads, but given my recent experience with huge
> filenames full of commas, I thought it might be worthwhile raising the
> issue.

A very good idea, thanks.

> I tried uploading a file named
> "AdministratorPasswörter.pdf" from my Windows
> desktop machine to PmWiki 2.1.3 running on
> Apache/Windoze 2000 Server. It worked just fine
> and preserved the filename. The download link has the appropriate URL
> encoding.

I have no idea what we will do in the case of uploading files to
OS/X.  Changing the filename to be url-encoded is arguably wrong,
because it'll mess up direct download links.  And trying to get
PmWiki to always produce correctly-formatted urls in mixed
character-set environments is going to be problematic.  (Sigh.)

I'm sure the OS/X designers thought they were doing a good thing
by restricting filenames to UTF-8, but it does make cross-platform
and cross-language software a lot more difficult to write.