[pmwiki-users] does farmmap.txt no longer work?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Mon Mar 20 10:07:17 CST 2006

At 2006-03-20  09:45 AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 10:16:29AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> > At 2006-03-20  09:59 AM -0500, Neil Herber is rumored to have said:
> > >I have just upgraded from 2.0.12 to 2.1.3 and everything worked
> > >flawlessly except for my farmmap.txt file, which no longer works.
> >
> > I found the problem.
> >
> > My farmmap.txt entry is:
> > shared-images:  http://all.eton.ca/pmwiki/shared-images/
> > and it does not work. Not even if I move it into the
> > scripts/intermap.txt file. The problem is the hyphen.
>
>You're right.  The change came about from fixing issues with
>parsing Site.InterMap, and it didn't occur to me that people
>would be using non-alphanumerics in InterMap entries.
>
>I'll restore support for hyphens in the next release (sometime today).

Thanks, Patrick.

Interestingly enough, an underscore works just fine. I guess I chose
the wrong special character.  ;-)

Would it make sense or be possible to make any character that appears
in a URL be legal as an intermap character?

It seems very natural to me to use part of the URL as the intermap
word. That is how I ended up with "shared-images".

In Canada, a lot of the government domains have hyphens in them, as in:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-e.html
which is the URL for the Canadian equivalent of the IRS in the US.
CRA is the English and ARC is the French acronym for the department.
What this really means is that we can never guess what the URL based
on the name of the government department - I always end up using Google.

On a bilingual site, I might have:
cra-arc:  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/
cra:  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-e.html
arc:  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-f.html