[pmwiki-users] wiki farm terminology

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Mon Mar 20 07:50:37 CST 2006

At 2006-03-20  07:23 AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> > This suggests to me that Pm had the independent setup of wikis in a
> > farm very much in mind, with multiple admins. Not just administering
> > wikis (fields), but even setting them up.
>
>That's correct.  A system administrator (e.g., a web hosting provider)
>can install the software once in a central location, and then
>individual accounts on the system can create their own wikis
>with just an index.php file.
>
>They can of course have local customizations, skins, cookbook,
>etc., but the index.php file is all that would be needed
>to get started, and the system administrator can keep the farm
>installation up to date.

This is a very powerful feature of PmWIki wiki farms - and there are
lots more. But the question arises: "Where should these be described
in the docs?"

I still believe that the WikiFarms page should be as short and simple
as possible describing a single method of setting up a wiki farm.
Setups where a hosting provider has a base install of PmWIki that
users can use to set up their own wikis belong on the WikiFarmsAdvanced page.

I have been thinking that it might be worthwhile having a
WikiFarmsBenefits page where these topics could be explored in more
detail without overwhelming a new admin trying to set up their first farm.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668