[pmwiki-users] pmwiki-users Digest, Vol 9, Issue 130

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 18 20:19:17 CST 2006

On 3/18/06, The Editor <editor at fast.st> wrote:
> I've been out all day, so have missed some of the discussion about the
> Farm terminology, but I'll throw in a few cents. It seems we are kind
> of going around in circles.

Not really.  At least we've nailed these down:

Wiki (Has a URL, page store, and is individually configurable)
Wiki farm (A collection of wikis sharing a PmWiki installation)
Home wiki (A wiki in the directory where PmWiki is installed)
Farm-wide (Something available to or affecting all wikis in the farm)
Local (Something available to or affecting a specific wiki)

> The wiki's would be called wiki's (field or home). We do need a term
> for the codebase.  I say, call it: Code Base. (aka the Barn).

I believe we've decided not to use "field" any more.  A server farm is
a collection of servers and a wiki farm is a collection of wikis.
That's about it.

> Also a concern:  we might want to be careful about being too rigid
> about all this. Personally, I would like to put together a very simple
> Recipe on Farms (don't know if I will find time...), that emphasizes
> the farm metaphor a bit more to help explain conceptually what is
> happening in a Farm installation for newbies.

That would be useful.

> I had to study several
> farm recipes carefully, pool their suggestions, and still had to get
> extra help from Pm and others on the list before mine would work.

The reason there's all this discussion is because the old
documentation was Really Really Bad.  In the near future someone using
the new documentation will have a *much* easier time.

Hagan