[pmwiki-users] How to stop the creation of a paragraph

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 16 21:17:19 CST 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 06:03:17PM -0800, Carlos AB wrote:
> I have included the text below inside  Site.PageActions .
> [...]
>
> The thing is I don't want it to be inside a paragraph. Is it possible?

At the moment, anything that isn't a list or other structural
markup gets placed in a paragraph.

It seems to me that we need something that we can put at the
beginning of a line that indicates "this is text, but not
a paragraph so don't put it in <p>...</p>".  This isn't
needed often, so it doesn't have to be particularly pretty
or elegant.

We could do it with a directive:

    (:np:)Here is some text
    that wraps but isn't
    placed in in <p>...</p>

Backslashes at the end of lines are used for joins and breaks, so
maybe at the beginning of lines they could indicate non-paragraphs:

    \Here is some text
    that wraps but isn't
    placed in <p>...</p>

I don't have many other ideas, but I'm open for suggestions.

On a somewhat related note, I'm also still looking for a markup
that indicates a new paragraph (without needing a blank line).
So far the leading candidate is still "P:", as in

    %center% This is a paragraph, center justified.
    P: %right% This is a second paragraph, right-justified
    and without an intervening vertical space.

Although now that I think about it, perhaps the \ should do
this since it has a somewhat similar meaning ("break") at the
end of lines:

    %center% This is a paragraph, center justified
    \ %right% This is a second paragraph, right-justified and
    without an intervening vertical space.

Suggestions welcomed.