[pmwiki-users] Yahoo! Slurp is broken (was: pmwiki.org performance)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 16 08:25:11 CST 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 09:04:40AM -0500, David Spitzley wrote:
> It just seems to me that Slurp is much more aggressive than it
> should be.
>
> Well, at the bottom of http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/slurp/slurp-03.html , they say:
>
> "If you have continuing issues regarding the frequency of access, please use the "No" button below to open an inquiry form. Copy your most recent weblog that lists the Yahoo! crawler activity and the URL of the host affected into the feedback area. We will need this information to process your request."
>
> So, get ye to a feedback form!

I already sent in the feedback form before posting my message.  :-)
I'm waiting to see how/if Yahoo! responds.

And despite Yahoo's note about "Copy your most recent weblog ...",
the textarea they provide for sending feedback is a 40-column, 6-row
box, which doesn't make it look as though they want very much in
the way of comments.  I found it very hard to compose my message
in that box.

I also figured they didn't want me sending a 281MB log file through
their comment form.  Even if I extract just the Slurp entries, it's
42MB.

Looking at it yet another way, Slurp used up 1.5GB of bandwidth
to my site for the first fifteen days of March.