[pmwiki-users] RFC: PITS 00701 -- WikiFarm confusion

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Mar 15 14:47:36 CST 2006

DaveG schrieb:
> We'd need to change the installation procedure, to include definition of
> the location of the first wiki, but I don't think it even becomes more
> confusing for first time installers.

It wouldn't be a large problem, and it would be something that most
other PHP software requires anyway.

OTOH PmWiki is particularly easy to install since code and data are
*not* separated. This is one of the key reasons why PmWiki is often
reported as "installs like a breeze".

So if PmWiki is really going down the "separate code and data" route, it
would probably have a default install mode where everything is put into
a single directory (just like today), plus a recipe how to set up "slave
wikis" (the master-slave terminology is still widely used) that live off
the master's code.
Plus maybe an additional recipe that tells web hosters how to move the
master wiki's code directories to /srv/www/cgi-bin or whatever and set
PmWiki up for their customers.

Just my 2c.

Regards,
Jo