[pmwiki-users] blogging

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Mar 13 14:51:05 CST 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 03:13:54PM -0500, Paul Lewis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As everyone I am delighted that PmWiki 2.1 has been released and
> grateful for all the hard work that went into it.
>
> I am a little confused, however, as I was under the impression that
> blogging was to be built into the PmWiki 2.1 core.
>
> I don't see it. There is no mention on the Release Notes page.

Alas, where there's no smoke, there's no fire.  I thought I
had mentioned some time ago that blogging support would likely
be post-2.1.0, but I can't find any messages to that effect in
the archives.  Sorry if I've been at all misleading.  (OTOH, it
wasn't among the list of features that was given in PITS 00565 which
chronicled the plans for 2.1.0.)

Essentially the difference is just one of timing; I could've either
kept 2.1 in "beta" status until blogging support is finished,
or I could go ahead and release it as non-beta and then
add a blogging module in a 2.1.x release.  I opted for the
latter -- from an overall PmWiki perspective it's better to
not hold the "beta" label on it any longer than I have to.

Creating blogging support (as I envision it) won't require
beta development -- it's essentially an add-on feature to
the existing core.  It shouldn't take much to add at this
point... but some of my other paying gigs (and potentially
paying gigs) really needed me to get the "beta" label off
of the latest versions of PmWiki.

> So, the question is What's up with blogging in the core? Was I just
> mistaken about this? Should I just pick one of the cookbook blog offerings?

If you're in a rush, look at the cookbook offerings.
I do expect to add blogging "real soon now", but given my
other workload (and the fact that I don't have a strong need
for it myself) I can't promise a delivery date at this point.