[pmwiki-users] Setting Skins for Individual Groups

Philip Stitt phil at octopusmusic.com
Sat Mar 11 03:18:54 CST 2006

I know I ask a lot of newbish questions here, but please bare with me -
I'm trying to learn, but I'm not particularly good at this kind of
stuff. (My excuse: I'm an "artist", so I'm using the *other* side of my
brain...)

Anyway, here's what I'm trying to do: I'd like it so that an individual
group, or an individual page, can have it's own unique skin. I'd prefer
not to use cookies (unless I have to), and I especially don't want to
have to use actions, like ?setskin="" or ?skin="" (or anything that
changes the pages URL). And, finally, I'd need it so that a "non-admin"
user can set the skin for that particular group or page.

On pmwiki.org's Cookbook.Skins page, each individual page has a
different skin. That's exactly what I want to be able to do. I looked
in the pages wiki markup, and couldn't see how it was done. Is that
something that only an administrator can set up?

I've tried several things, and I just can't figure it out. I tried using
the "(:include Css.SomePage:) thing, which "sort of" works - it only
seems to affect the sidebar, the footer, and the header... but not the
main part of the page. And, of course, it only affects style elements,
whereas I want to change both the style and the template. Is there a
way to include css AND template information?

I did have one other idea, so I'll go ahead and mention it now: I could
live with using cookies, as long as it didn't involve using a page
action. If there is some way to set one of the "skin cookies" into a
visitors browser - but only while they are visiting that particular
page (or group) - then that would work for me too.

Ok, well, that's my question. Since I made you read so much (I know I
have a tendency to ramble on), I'll try to make it worth your while
with a joke:

A couple of hunters are out in the woods when one of them falls to the
ground. He doesn't seem to be breathing, his eyes are rolled back in
his head. The other guy whips out his cell phone and calls the
emergency services. He gasps to the operator: “My friend is dead! What
can I do?” The operator, in a calm soothing voice says: “Just take it
easy. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead.” There is a
silence, then a shot is heard. The guy's voice comes back on the line.
He says: “OK, now what?"

Phil