[pmwiki-users] Authorization files

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 9 07:56:39 CST 2006

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 08:56:34AM +0100, OBUTEX / Hladůvka wrote:
> Would someone explain what is the cooperation among authorization
> files :
> 1) .htpasswd
> 2) local/config.php (the users definition part when including AuthUser
> script )
> 3) Site.AuthUser

They're all just different ways to get the same results.
They combine.

> Must they be synchronized?
> If no, which has the highest preference?

They don't have to be synchronized.  There is no preference
associated with them -- a username and password is checked
against all of the sources until a match is found.  If a username
appears multiple times or in multiple places with different
passwords, then any of those passwords is allowed to authenticate.

> Can I use *only*  the AuthUser script and the Site.AuthUser to define
> users and pwds ?

Yes.

> If yes, what contents of .htpasswd should be (if any)

If you're using only Site.AuthUser to define users and passwords,
you don't need a .htpasswd file.

The page http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/AuthUser has the latest
details on how to configure AuthUser.