[pmwiki-users] want opinions on a new cookbook recipe format

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 7 12:46:23 CST 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:08:11AM +0100, Dominique Faure wrote:

> Isn't it also the time to categorize consistently all the recipes and
> rebuild the Cookbook.Cookbook page as a series of inclusions?

I did a few steps in this direction, and I'm not so sure it
will work well.  We can do the Cookbook.Cookbook page as a
series of category pagelists, but I think that might end up being
too slow, and some recipes that don't fit the standard categories
might get lost entirely.

We also lose the trail through the cookbook, but because of the
size of the cookbook (and the fact that they've been alphabetized
within categories) I'm not sure that the cookbook trail is of much
use any more.  We probably need to make smaller trails for those.

I'm also worried about how long it might take to render a long sequence
of pagelists.  It may be that I just need to write a custom
pagelist fmt= option that can do this quickly from a single
(:pagelist:) directive.  Or maybe I can get page caching to work.

At any rate, I have a pagelist-based-example at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cookbook-ByCategory .
As more pages adopt the new header format, the descriptions will
get filled in (some are filled in already).