[pmwiki-users] Problems moving site online...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Mar 6 20:27:36 CST 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 07:54:11PM -0500, The Editor wrote:
> Here's some more info on my problems uploading the files:
>
> > Are you sure that the files indeed transferred across?
> > Perhaps the files on your server have permission settings
> > that are preventing you from overwriting them.
>
> I looked at the dates in my ftp program, and it shows the problem
> files with the correct dates.  I even opened one in a text editor and
> it is the correct version.  But when I display the page, it has the
> old information.  My members.sidebar for example has the wrong sidebar
> on the side, but the correct one inside the page.

You moved these files from a Windows system to a Unix server, yes?
Any chance that the filenames are changing letter case in the process?

Windows filenames are case insensitive, while Unix filenames are
case sensitive, so Windows will think that "Main.Sidebar", "Main.SideBar",
and "MAIN.SIDEBAR" are all the same page, while Unix will see them as
three separate pages.

In particular, on a Windows system [[Main.SideBar]] and [[Main.Sidebar]]
both link to the same page, while on a Unix system they are separate
pages.

This has been a long-standing annoyance, but at the moment there's not
an easy way to make Unix pages case insensitive without breaking a lot
of other things PmWiki depends on in the process.  (There's also not
an easy way to make Windows pages case sensitive.)  Normally the
case sensitivity doesn't make a difference; it only comes up when trying
to move page files from a Windows platform to a Unix one.

So, double-check the filenames; if that's not the issue, we'll look
at something else.

(This item is on my list of long-term things to ultimately address,
but there are a *lot* of issues that have come up involving PmWiki's
page storage system (for example, Mac OS/X filesystems cannot handle
non-UTF8 characters in filenames), so I've been thinking it'll be
better to tackle them all-at-once rather than try to fix things
in a piecemeal fashion.)