[pmwiki-users] Problems moving site online...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Mar 6 17:44:21 CST 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 11:07:05AM -0500, The Editor wrote:
> The other day I uploaded my test site from my home computer
> (XP/Apache) to my webserver by simply ftp'ing the whole pmwiki folder
> with everything in it up to my server.  Then updated the config file
> for the new location and it worked beautifully. Amazingly simple!

That's the way it's supposed to be.

> Since then I have continued editing, tweaking, adding pages, scripts,
> etc., on my home machine. Last night I uploaded  all the new scripts
> (recipes), updated the config file, and copied over the whole wiki.d
> directory.  Everything seemed fine-- but then I gradually realized
> only some of the changes stuck.  Especially sidebars here and there,
> and many of the pages.  Evidently some of the pages refused to be
> overwritten.  I tried overwriting the whole wikilib.d folder thinking
> that might possibly help. No effect.

Overwriting wikilib.d shouldn't have made any difference, as all
of the changes you may have made would be stored in the wiki.d/
directory.  (In its normal configuration, PmWiki never writes
to files in wikilib.d/ ).

> Is there something I have done wrong?

Are you sure that the files indeed transferred across?
Perhaps the files on your server have permission settings
that are preventing you from overwriting them.

Also, have you tried doing what you originally did -- i.e.,
copying the entire directory from  your home machine to
the server?  (You normally shouldn't have to do things this
way, but it might give us some clues as to what is happening.)

> Also, is it possible to just upload certain pages from my home machine
> to the webserver, such as say all the pages in some group I've just
> been working on, and expect it to work right?

Yes, you can do this, and it works "mostly right".  The only thing
that may be negatively affected is that the ".pageindex" file
will be out of date as a result.  PmWiki will generaly repair
the pageindex over time (and as it discovers things that are
obviously out of sync), but you can force the index to be regenerated
by simply removing .pageindex from the wiki.d/ directory after
you copy the files across.