[pmwiki-users] Upload doesn't work, no permissions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Mar 6 09:55:58 CST 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 04:12:34PM +0100, Daniel Hofer wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've changed to another hosting, now I have problems with uploads.
> It appears always the message that pmWiki needs a writeable
> uploads-directory.
>
> Now I tested it several times, the uploads-dir has 777. I looked with 3
> different FTP-clients, the directory has definitely 777.
>
> Has anybody an idea, why it doesn't work? If I create the subfolder by
> hand then the upload works fine.
> I'm using beta33.

Perhaps your new hosting provider is running PHP in "safe_mode", which
has stricter requirements on file permissions.  The end result of
"safe_mode" in most environments is that PmWiki can no longer automatically
create directories and use them -- any directories for writing have to
be created by the administrator and given 777 permissions.
(This includes, unfortunately, subdirectories of uploads/).

To see if your site is running safe_mode, set "$EnableDiag=1;" in
local/config.php, access the site using "?action=phpinfo", and then
scroll down the resulting list to see if "safe_mode" is set to "On".

Hope this helps,