[pmwiki-users] WikiWords and Google

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 4 20:17:41 CST 2006

On 3/4/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 04:32:15PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> > I believe the simple answer is: No.  RollingStones and "Rolling
> > Stones" are not the same to Google.
> >
> > Results 1 - 10 of about 442,000 for rollingstones. (0.11 seconds)
> > Results 1 - 10 of about 25,300,000 for "rolling stones". (0.12 seconds)
>
> This doesn't really answer the question -- the question isn't
> whether the search results are the same (we know they won't be),
> but rather if a search for "rolling stones" would find a page
> named "Rolling Stones".

Typo?

I think the question -- or at leas *a* question -- is whether a search
for "rolling stones" would find a wikipage named "RollingStones" with
an H1 heading that says "RollingStone" that doesn't contain the string
"Rolling Stones" in it.  I'll speculate that it doesn't... until
someone links it with "rolling stones" in the link text.

In other words, if a sites sticks to WikiWords might some pages
inadvertently stealth themselves in the search index with respect to
the words that have been MashedTogether?

>  The above results don't tell us anything
> about whether the 442,000 pages found by "rollingstones" also
> appear in the 25,300,000 results for "rolling stones".

It was only intended to show that the two are not interchangeable.

To find out if rollingstones gets /indexed/ as "rolling stones" you'd
do something like this

Results 1 - 10 of about 13,400,000 for "rolling stones" AND
rollingstones. (0.29 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 13,600,000 for "rolling stones" OR
rollingstones. (0.31 seconds)

and the two would be the same, no?

Hey... Doesn't it seem like that bottom one should be greater than 25,300,000?

<tries previous searches again>

Results 1 - 10 of about 15,100,000 for "rolling stones". (0.13 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 249,000 for rollingstones. (0.12 seconds)

The math seems to be getting a bit fuzzy over at Google...

Hagan

p.s.:  The fact that one of the sites I found when searching for SEO
information runs PmWiki must mean something.  :-)