[pmwiki-users] TextFormattingRules and BasicEditing

Bronwyn Boltwood bronwyn at bronwynb.info
Thu Mar 2 17:00:33 CST 2006

On 3/2/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> Do we need to have both the TextFormattingRules and BasicEditing
> pages?  They seem largely duplicative.  If we need both, what's
> the main difference between them?

Assuming that no minor markups have slipped through the cracks, the
difference is in the approach.  Text Formatting Rules is for people like me,
who like to read the manual and understand how the thing works.  Basic
Editing is much more a "get the job done" page.

In either case, what I care about is that
* all the text formatting markups are covered
* there's enough information and examples that I can understand how the
markups work (Text Formatting Rules is generally better at this, for me)
* I know where to go for more information on certain things, like links or
directives
* I can quickly find the markup I'm looking for, either by seeing the
effect, or by the name.

Basic Editing makes it easier to find something by how it looks, but harder
to find it by name.  Honestly, somewhere back in the betas for 2.0 I wrote
my own Text Formatting Rules, and have been using it happily since, because
its organization makes sense to me.  It complements my custom edit quickref
nicely -- the quickref is a markup -> effect table -- and most of the stuff
that's changed since has been directives and other things that never lived
in TFR anyway.  There's section headings in the quickref that take you to
the proper anchor in the TRF when you need to learn more.

Bronwyn