[pmwiki-users] Email notification on a page change

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 2 15:48:49 CST 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 04:28:36PM -0500, Susan wrote:
> http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/MailPosts
>
> This is more for an administrator who wants to know of any changes. The
> email address(es) are set manually in local/config.php . Well thought
> out, including "Wait (insert time) before sending" -- very nice if
> you're making a lot of fast changes."

Actually, Susan's comment makes me realize that watch lists and
MailPosts are essentially the same thing, the only difference being
that MailPosts is really a "watch everything" list instead of
"watch this list of pages".  Or perhaps it's just watching
Site.AllRecentChanges.

So, what we *really* want is to generalize MailPosts (which already
handles the "wait and batch changes before sending" aspect) so that
it can handle arbitrary watch lists.

And perhaps watch lists should be specified using pagelist parameters,
so that we can say things like:

    watch all pages in a specified set of groups
    watch the pages on this trail
    watch the pages that link to Group.SomePage
    format the output using #template

But that might be too much work for the system to keep up with --
I'll have to think about it a bit.

At any rate, it would be *very* nice if we could come up with something
that both fixes the shortcomings of MailPosts and solves the issue
of individualized email notifications of pages.  :-)

Thanks, Susan!