[pmwiki-users] Burnt! Simultaneous edit lost :-(

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Thu Mar 2 15:07:49 CST 2006

Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> Or, perhaps we leave the textarea alone, and display the page
> history (i.e., "?action=diff") of the changes that occurred
> during the edit.
>
> I kinda like this last idea.  It might even be worthwhile to
> display the page history even when the merge does succeed,
> since otherwise it's not at all obvious what changed if there
> weren't any conflicts.

Excellent plan.
It might be a good idea to display source diffs, so that the author can
immediately copy&paste them over to the edit window.

Of course, this doesn't work if there's no diff available. In which case
the diff will degenerate into a "this is the page as it was saved by
somebody else in the mean time; please integrate your changes into his".
Um... thinking a bit further: if a lazy user gets such a page, he'll
probably hit the "save" button anyway, overwriting the other guy's
changes. So it's time for some ergonomic trickery: Display the other
guy's changes in the edit window, and the lazy guy's changes as source
text below. This also punishes those who start editing a page and leave
it open while away for lunch, which is what we want.

Regards,
Jo