[pmwiki-users] Putting ".html" extensions onto pages

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Mar 1 13:22:15 CST 2006

Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> I already thought of this and somewhat rejected it as ultimately
> going against PmWikiPhilosophy #3 ("avoid gratuitous features").
> Here's the progression:
>
>    1.  Let's ignore ".html" extensions on complete pagenames.
>
>    2.  No, wait, why limit this to just the ".html" suffix?  Let's
>        have an array of suffixes that can be ignored.
>
>    3.  No, wait, why just *ignore* the suffixes?  Let's provide a
>        generic mechanism to do full pagename mangling in any way that
>        the administrator wishes to mangle them.
>
> at which point I start to feel like it's overkill for the limited
> purpose I'm trying to achieve.

Why not ignore all suffixes?

Just ignoring .html seems too obscure to me. It's just a special case we
all have to think about when considering URL mangling, answering
URL-related questions, etc. That all becomes easier if there's a uniform
policy, such as "PmWiki ignores any suffixes in page names given via
PathInfo".

Regards,
Jo