[pmwiki-users] Putting ".html" extensions onto pages

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Mar 1 09:56:05 CST 2006

At 2006-03-01  09:40 AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>In the normal case, the webserver doesn't have to do anything
>differently here.  Given a url such as
>
>     http://www.example.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WikiSandbox.html
>
>the webserver gets as far as the "pmwiki.php" part (which tells it
>to run PmWiki), and then passes the rest along to the script to
>be processed.  The same is true for the various clean urls approaches.

Thanks for the clarification. I realized this was the case about 15
minutes after sending my email. I think I need some of Susan's coffee.  ;-)

>(Side note:  HTTrack happens to be one of those user-agents that
>is completely banned from my server; I've run into a number of cases
>where HTTrack is sending 15-20 simultaneous requests for pointless
>pages on the system. :-)

(Side-side note: I have only ever used HTTrack to grab a static
version of a bulletin board system from my own server. It worked
amazingly well, but I didn't check to see if it was doing pointless lookups!)

One of the hosting services I used some time back used "htm" and
"html" to distinguish between static pages and those with server-side
includes (SSI). The more common pair nowadays is "html" and "shtml".
Having a list of ignorable extensions *might* be useful, but since
the web server never gets to parse the extension (having passed it to
PmWiki) I am not sure that it matters a great deal.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668