[pmwiki-users] Putting ".html" extensions onto pages

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Mar 1 06:37:40 CST 2006

At 2006-02-28  06:17 PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>Does anyone envision any issues with simply having PmWiki ignore
>trailing ".html" extensions in url requests by default...?  If not,
>then it's likely to be included in the next beta release.

What does it mean to say that PmWiki is going to ignore the
extension? Isn't it the web server that interprets the extension to
decide how to dispatch the request? In other words, won't the web
server have to ignore the extension too? Or am I just displaying my
colossal ignorance of such matters?

As for being useful for static copies of the pages, if you use
HTTrack to capture a static representation, it rewrites the URLs so
that they work. No need for this "ignoring" scheme.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668