[pmwiki-users] commentbox q.

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Fri Jun 30 19:11:46 CDT 2006

On Friday, 30 June 2006 9:38 PM, noskule at gmx.net wrote:
>Am Freitag, 30. Juni 2006 00:38 schrieb John Rankin:
>> On Friday, 30 June 2006 5:07 AM, noskule at gmx.net wrote:
>> >hi list, hi john
>> >Is it somhow possible that the commentbox writes its output in an other
>> > page than the wikipage? For example: If I put (:commentbox:) indto the
>> > rightbar commentbox puts the text into the content not the rightbar. Is
>> > this somhow changeable?
>> >thanks for any hints.
>> >grz nos
>>
>> It depends on how you want it to work. For example, the latest version of
>> wikilog includes a (:wikilogbox:) directive that allows a commenter to pick
>> the date for which to post a story. So commentbox could do the following:
>>
>> option a. provide (:commentbox SomePageName:) markup, which would let an
>>           author specify the page on which to post the comment; if the
>>           page name is omitted, post to the current page
>>
>><snip>
>>
>> Because the comment handler uses the PmWiki HandleEdit function to
>> post comments, one consequence is that the commenter will be taken
>> to the page on which the comment is being posted. For example, if
>> the SideBar contains (:commentbox SideBar:) the commenter will end
>> up on SideBar, not the page from which the comment was posted.
>>
>hm, I guess this will seldom be the case, cause if I want the redirect there
>would be no need to specifie the target page cause I allready
>there.

Looking at pmwiki.php, it might be possible. There is an '$EditRedirectFmt'
variable, which defaults to '$FullName'. In theory, if we set this to the
name of the originating page, HandleEdit might do what you want. So you
might be in luck.

>><snip>
>>
>> Comments?
>

>I can imagine two cases to use the "post target" feature
>* shoutbox (commentbox in a sidebar)
>* comment blog entries (include a {$Page}-Discussion page into the
>groupfooter)
>
>What happens if the page dosnt exist, does commentbox create it?

Yes -- it's using PmWiki's HandleEdit, so it's just like any other
edit -- if the page doesn't exist, PmWiki creates it.

><snip>
>
>Are there mybe cases where a redirection to the comment target page is
>desirable? So there my would be a need for a redirect yes/no
>feature

Assuming the EditRedirectFmt variable does what I think it does and
the poster can stay on the current page and go to not the posting page,
I think we'll leave that as a configurable parameter until there is
a need. The administrator can always override the standard behaviour.

--
JR