[pmwiki-users] commentbox q.

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Jun 29 17:38:09 CDT 2006

On Friday, 30 June 2006 5:07 AM, noskule at gmx.net wrote:
>hi list, hi john
>Is it somhow possible that the commentbox writes its output in an other page
>than the wikipage? For example: If I put (:commentbox:) indto the rightbar
>commentbox puts the text into the content not the rightbar. Is this somhow
>changeable?
>thanks for any hints.
>grz nos

It depends on how you want it to work. For example, the latest version of
wikilog includes a (:wikilogbox:) directive that allows a commenter to pick
the date for which to post a story. So commentbox could do the following:

option a. provide (:commentbox SomePageName:) markup, which would let an
          author specify the page on which to post the comment; if the
          page name is omitted, post to the current page

option b. provide (:commentbox ? :) markup, which would add a new field
          to the comment form, allowing a commenter to specify a page name

option c. support both option a and option b

>From the question, I think option a would meet the requirement. It also
has the advantage of being relatively easy to implement.

Because the comment handler uses the PmWiki HandleEdit function to
post comments, one consequence is that the commenter will be taken
to the page on which the comment is being posted. For example, if
the SideBar contains (:commentbox SideBar:) the commenter will end
up on SideBar, not the page from which the comment was posted.

It may be possible to post to the specified page, then redirect to
the originating page, but I don't know how to do this. From memory,
this has come up as a pmwiki feature request before, in relation to
wikiforms posting, but I don't remember whether it was resolved.

Option b could be a little dangerous, as it would allow a spammer to
create large numbers of spurious pages. It would also be too easy for
a legitimate commenter to post a comment to a mis-typed page. To
alleviate these potential problems, option b probably ought to
restrict posts to existing pages, which would mean handling the case
where the specified page does not exist.

Comments?
--
JR
--