[pmwiki-users] AuthUser - I don't just get it

Jan Erik Moström lists at mostrom.pp.se
Tue Jun 27 14:32:42 CDT 2006

Reply to Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> 06-06-27 12:54:

> > The probably cause for my problems is my own stupidity (as usual)
>
> Can you point to what wasn't working before?  Lots of people
> seem to struggle with AuthUser and I'd like to improve it if I can.

I spoke to soon (as usual), I managed to get a newly installed site to work but
not the one I originally had problems with. I don't know if it matters (since
it's now working) but here are the steps I took for the newly installed sites

1   Download and unzip pmwiki

2   Change the folder name to "pmwiki"

3   Move the folder to where the server can see it

4   Copy docs/sample-config.php to local

5   Change the name to "config.php"

6   Open config.php in my editor and to make changes as few as possible
    for this example I just add the line

        include_once("$FarmD/scripts/authuser.php");

    at the end of the file

7   I also uncomment the admin line so it becomes

        $DefaultPasswords['admin'] = crypt('secret');

8   I create the wiki.d folder and set the permissions

        mkdir wiki.d
        chown www wiki.d
        ls -l
        drwxr-xr-x     2 www  jem     68 Jun 27 16:56 wiki.d

9   I point my browser to the site

        127.0.0.1/~jem/pmwiki/pmwiki.php

    and is shown the first page

10  I move to the page

        <http://127.0.0.1/~jem/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.AuthUser>

11  I enter edit mode, delete all text and enter

        arne: (:encrypt anka:)

12  Save

    <http://127.0.0.1/~jem/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage?action=attr>

14  Writes "id:arne" in edit field, saves

15  Check the attr page once more and "id:arne" is to the right of the
    edit field.

16  Launch a new browser and enters the URL for the site

17  Clicks on the edit link and is asked for the user/password

18  Enter "arne" and "anka" and I'm logged in.

The orginal site had some additional settings and perhaps the problem was there.
I'm going to start adding settings to see if I get the same problem again.

                    jem