[pmwiki-users] Easy .htaccess authentication setup?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Thu Jun 22 09:47:04 CDT 2006

At 2006-06-22  09:46 AM -0400, Alan Hoyle is rumored to have said:
>Right now, I can use a .htaccess file to create something that
>requires Apache authentication (using our kerberos infrastructure) for
>everything, but I can't set it up for unauthenticated reading.

You could set up two different URL alias paths to the same wiki.

http://www.example.com/read/wiki/
http://www.example.com/edit/wiki/

On the "read" path, do nothing other than edit protecting the wiki
with an edit password in config.php. Set that to "id:*", which means
anyone who has authenticated, but since no one authenticates on this
path, no one can edit.

On the "edit" path, require authentication (in .htaccess)

I am not an Apache expert by any measure, so the terminology I use
here may not be kosher, but I think you should get the idea.

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/